We had our annual student visit to CERN also in 2019.
The trip took place from 30 September to 2 October 2019 and all students (40 in total) shared a bus to get to Geneva and back. All students stayed in a youth hostel in Geneva. Bus, hostel and visit expenses were covered by the Faculty of Physics. Students had to cover expenses for food and drinks themselves.
We gave out places on a 'first come, first served' basis! Only students registered at the Faculty of Physics at LMU Munich could take part in this trip and preference was given to people that haven't taken part in a previous trip.
- student contact: Chi-Hsun Wei
- chair contacts: Prof. Dorothee Schaile, Dr. Sascha Mehlhase
- dates: 30 September – 2 October
- accomodation: Geneva Hostel
- transport: bus
- leaving Munich: 30. September 8am (sharp) – LMU main building / Geschwister-Scholl-Platz
- back in Munich : 2. October around 6pm (likely at LMU main building again)
- trip usually takes about eight hours
- costs (trip+accomodation): will be covered for students of the LMU physics faculty (only those can take part!!)
- important notice
- many of the visits are not possible for pregnant women, people with walking difficulties or implants or without solid shoes!!
- you should be able/allowed to take pictures (for personal use) anywhere on the CERN premises ;)
- remember to bring your national ID card or passport (for border crossings, hotel, ...)
CERN visits - 1 October 2019
- between 07:30 and 08:00 = bus transfer hostel - CERN (ask driver)
- 08:30 = arrvival at the CERN reception (map)
- 08:50 = bus transfer reception - Prevessin
- 09:10 - 10:00 = AMS control room / CERN Control Centre
- 10:10 - 11:00 = CERN Control Centre / AMS control room
- 11:00 = bus transfer Prevessin - SM18
- 11:10 = magnet test facility SM18
- 12:10 = bus transfer SM18 - reception
- 12:30 - 13:30 = lunch and some time to explore CERN Microcosm
- 14:00 - 17:00 = 20 students visiting the ATLAS experiment (four groups of five)
- 14:30 - 15:30 = 20 students visiting the CMS experiment (bus transfer 14:00 / 15:45; two groups of ten)
- 15:30 - 17:30 = some time for questions/discussion and to explore the Globe of Science
- about 17:30 = bus transfer to hostel
- evening = free for you (we/you might want to organise the common dinner!? ... let us know)